Message from Principal, Alison J Shaw
(07 August 2014)
Seaton Burn College is profoundly shocked and saddened at the news that two young men - medical students at Newcastle University - were killed yesterday in Borneo.
We do not, however, believe that this terrible news suggests any specific threat at all to our group who are currently in the latter stages of their Borneo trip.
All the advice we have sought, including that from the Foreign Office, suggests that parents and friends should be reassured. We are looking forward to the safe return of our staff and students in a few days' time, after what has been a superb trip.
Alison J Shaw
Click here for our Weekly Bulletin.
Click here to also view Issue 3 of the Digital Parenting Magazine produced by Vodafone.
Ofsted 2012 : "This is a Good School" Full details
Ofsted's key findings from our recent inspection (December 2012):
- This is a 'Good' school.
- Students achieve well and nearly all make good progress from their starting points.
- Teaching is good overall, with a substantial proportion that is outstanding.
- Students enjoy school and are proud to be part of it.
- Students feel safe and their parents unanimously agree that they are.
- A calm, happy atmosphere found all around the school.
- Behaviour and attitudes to learning are good, and sometimes outstanding.
- Students are respectful, polite and courteous to adults. They are especially welcoming and helpful to visitors.
- Bullying is not a problem.
- Provision in the sixth form is good. Students achieve well; teaching is consistently good and prepares students well for the next stage of their lives.
- Leadership at all levels demonstrates the ambition and determination to drive improvement and raise students' achievement further.
- The Principal inspires staff and students to be the best they can.
- Learning is successful because teachers make good use of their knowledge of students' needs and set a good level of challenge.
- Students' spiritual, moral, social and cultural development is at the heart of the school's drive to develop well informed, tolerant, caring young people.
- Members of the governing body provide excellent support and challenge for the strategic development of the school.
Why not visit some of the below areas of our website or go back to top: